Gaya CAC Internship Program
BECOME A STUDIO INTERN
Gaya CAC Internship Program offers an indelible opportunity for an aspiring potter to learn the ins and outs of running a ceramic studio, teaching ceramic skills, organizing workshops, firing kilns, and generally living a life of clay. The internship is based on an agreement of exchange between the intern and GCAC.
NOTE: There is strictly no payment involved in this program.
Qualifications: an individual with at least a basis of experience in ceramics, interested in pursuing his/her own knowledge in making, firing, and running a public studio. Proficiency in English language is essential.
Desirable possible skills/attributes: , organizational skills, teaching experience, photography background, graphic design knowledge, attitude of commitment and exploration, friendly demeanor, willingness to multi-task and work in a team.
Agreement: Intern will commit to offering approximately 20 hours per week of assistance in the studio, in exchange for approximately the same number of hours of free studio usage.
Studio Assistance may include:
- Setting up and breaking down lunches during group workshops
- Being on hand for lead instructor of two-week workshop (sourcing tools, materials, organizing work tables, keeping workshop flowing smoothly)
- Accompanying groups on workshop excursions
- Assisting shorter classes (Throwing Thursdays or Privates); or possibly teaching these types of classes
- Helping familiarize Resident Artist with studio, Ubud, life in Bali, and carrying out their residency
- Helping with some publicity aspects of the studio (hanging flyers in Ubud, assisting with Face Book updates and/or drafting newsletters)
- General daily clean up and organization of studio
- Loading and unloading kilns, firing or assisting firing
- Being a general spokesperson for Gaya CAC—in Bali and elsewhere in the world
- Time, space and use of all equipment and materials
- Use of clay and kilns without charge (within respectful limits)
- Opportunity to learn from many ceramic professionals, via workshops, resident artists, etc.
Duration and Visa: Approximately 6 months is preferable for this internship and the intern is recommended to apply for a Social Budaya (Cultural visa) — the intern is to pay all visa and renewal fees.
Application Procedure: Please email us a letter of interest, stating your qualifications and desire to become a studio intern, and including two reference names and email addresses with your application.